Monday, December 5, 2011

Technology, needs help, to help

Where do I begin, Social media has
evolved so much in the last 2 years, sites like Facebook and Twitter
have become that main power houses in social media and news feeds.
Groupon and Livingsocial have dominated the group buying explosion
that is now on the decline.
Netflix was the cool kid on the
block just 12 months ago, now other rivals (notably Blockbuster’s new
business model) have been popping up to compete with Netflix in the
streaming video market.

And a ton of stuff has been developing
with payments and mobile(Do not even get me started on NFC technology
and how it is the worst idea for mobile payments)…..the world will
be lost online if we continue at this rate. I think we are definitely
traveling in the right direction, but I think we are all moving a
little to fast. With all the competition with “Start ups” and
trying to get the newest, best web idea, or patent, I think its all
kind of stupid. Essentially it’s a tech race and nobody cares if you
win, nobody that’s normal anyway. When I say normal I mean the
general population of common folk that have no idea what “tweeting”
or “ Like” or the expression “it’s in the cloud” without
making them look up, and what it really means.

The other people who are living in
silicon valley who live and breath technology are all rolling around
with a chubby when you mention the words “term sheet”, “social
media”, “cloud based tech” or “pitch”. It’s actually very
amusing to look in on a different perspective, It’s just the internet. What if one day
something tragic happens and we lose the satellites for the web? and
Cell phones? holy shit I would love to see this day, I want to see
the look on Zuckbergs face when his stock crashes.( only joking, I would be just as upset)

I have had the opportunity to attend
many technology conventions and have met with some very high profile
founders and VC, and I must say I am impressed with the energy and
the general aptitude of the attendees, but I start thinking, how on
earth are normal people going to figure out how to use this website/app
that I just seen being pitched? It’s great that a VC just dumped
millions of dollars into the idea but we almost need a professional
liaison between these website inventors and the general population.
Basically someone to say “this idea is good and normal people will
adopt it quickly” or “ You need to get back into your delorean
with Doc. Brown, mick-fly”

So I think we are almost at a cross
road with the internet and technology, do we continue to build and
change before adoption or do we slow down and wait for the rest of
the world to catch up? Very debatable, but I think it would be smart
to wait, continue to build but the primary building focus should be
on education of all the widely used websites and technology. Create a
learning platform for all these websites, a place that everyday
people can visit and learn(like a fun website for just social media
learning), this would not only create a better feature testing
demographic but this would also create a long term user, and more
users that are confident and will embraces your next big thing.

Facebook will only survive another 3
years if it continues to change its user interface monthly for advertising usage, I 
know people who have no idea what to do on their profile the last
time FB was re-designed. I understand the whole, “got to stay a
head of the curve” but Facebook is already around the block and not
looking back. I still think another website will come along and be a
Facebook killer, I think it will be an App that is simple but 
the same idea as Facebook, a newer concept or it might even be like
facebook but with a better user experience, less intimidating and can
virtually cater to every persons technological  aptitude. Facebook UX/UI is 
dictated by its adversing needs, they are constantly thinking of ways to "engage" users to give up more info via "new improved" features that need more info... like that stupid timeline, who was the engineer who thought of that? Why on earth would I want my wife to see pictures of me and my ex-girlfriend from 10 years ago? just trying to start shit FB. Maybe slow down and work on UX for a few months.....

Facebook has so many options, and apps,
and a bunch of garbage on it. I think its turning into a wasteland of
personal information that is being picked apart like vultures by big
media companies looking to make millions off ads and your personal
info.
Twitter is a wasteland of “Robot
Tweets”, try going on twitter throughout the day about 6 times and
just have a look at the tweets, you will notice a trend of tweets by
the same people, these people are using an automated system to
deliver their message.
Just one problem, if everyone is
automating their Tweets to each other, then who is really seeing
them? Twitter records millions of Tweets, I would love to see the
actual analytics and compare it to the actual tweets to people logged on the
site. I bet you would see a huge number difference, meaning Yes
tweets are getting out but no one is actually see them, Yay great
website…..to end this problem, Twitter should be stopping
automation of Tweets, but they realize if they do this the number of
Tweets will drop dramatically and therefore decrease the value of
Twitter and all the VC will be pissed and lose money. Basically
twitter has built a fake valuation, and fake business on automation,
not the most practical long term solution. It’s to bad, this website
concept has the most power to reach the people.

And finally Groupon……need I say
anymore, oh wait yeah, R.I.P

Cheers,